Admissions & Application
Details of how to apply can be found on the MAT Apply page.
- Admission to the Templeton Master of Arts in Teaching requires a minimum 3.0 undergraduate GPA, a 3.5 GPA is preferred.
- All applications are reviewed by Templeton faculty and staff and are judged on the following criteria: 1) Passion for classical education, 2) Promise as a skilled teacher, and 3) Academic excellence.
- The MAT in Classical Education is a cohort-based program with a maximum capacity of 25 students. Because space is limited, fulfilling admissions requirements is no guarantee of acceptance. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis, so it is advantageous to apply early before spots are filled.
2021 Application Deadlines
Spring Semester Deadline: January 1, 2021
Summer Residency Deadline: April 23, 2021
2021 Summer Residency: begins June 13th - some pre-program work will be assigned in advance
- Session I: June 13 - June 29
- Session II: July 1 - July 16
Cost, Scholarships, and Aid
An MAT from the Templeton Honors College will benefit not only the individual teacher and his or her classroom, but also the school at large.
- The MAT comprises 30 credits. Tuition for the two year program is $22,290 ($743 per credit x 30).*
- Eastern University alumni are eligible for a 20% discount on tuition.
- THC alumni are eligible for a 30% discount on tuition.
- Many teachers are eligible for partner discounts and other financial assistance directly from THC.
- For students staying on campus for the entirety of the two five week residencies, room and board will be charged at approx. $2,500 per residency, totaling $5,000.*
- Information on financial aid can be found here. More information and contact details for Eastern’s Financial Aid office can be found on their website.
- Many states have grants available for teachers continuing their education that can be applied for separately.
- Many current students receive partial funding from their schools. Therefore, we encourage teachers to speak with their Headmasters or Deans about investing in their ongoing education.
*These costs are estimates based on tuition and room and board for the 2020-2021 tuition year.